Sunday, May 29, 2011

Tummy Sleeper

B is now a tummy sleeper at night and sometimes at naptime. Yikes! I must say it does put a little more worry in my mind, but I know that he can easily roll himself over if he needs to. I've read that once they can roll from front to back and back to front and lift their head it's OK if they sleep on their stomachs, but it still is strange. With all the "baby back to sleep" talk I feel like I'm doing something wrong by letting him stay on his tummy, but every time I roll him to his back he just flips right over. This made me feel better...from sidscenter.org: "Once babies start rolling and choosing their own sleep position, you do not need to keep turning them over onto their backs."

On the bright side B has slept a full 12 hours the past few nights. He hasn't woken up for a feeding. That's been strange for me, but I'll take what I can get. He has also put himself to sleep much better both nights.

Here are a few pictures of my tummy sleeper.

This is from a nap one day this week. He wears a sleep-suit as a blanket. Yep, next item on the "to buy" list is a breathable bumper.


A picture of the video monitor from tonight


I'll take any words of wisdom to ease my mind : )

2 comments:

  1. Owen sleeps on his tummy all the time now, too. I've heard what you have...as long has his arms are free to flip, then I think these boys of ours may just feel cozier on their bellies. It helps me to remember that he is strong & so good at telling me when he needs...I know B is that way, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of my girls were (and are) tummy sleepers. We started letting Mary Kate sleep on her tummy really early! Our pediatrician said it was fine. She hated sleeping on her back and slept so much better once we put her on her tummy! They both had regular bumpers too :) No worries!

    ReplyDelete