Monday, May 9, 2011

Flexibility = Becoming a Better Mom

If you know me well you know flexibility and spontaneity are things I don't deal with too well. This past week has tested me as a mom and person in both of these areas.

I'll explain: My parents are renovating our house on Kiawah Island and they were going to be driving there to start to put the house back together (furniture and decorations). They were driving so they could fill up my dad's truck with furnishings for the house that my mom has bought here in Austin. Long story short...I decided to go with them. One major part of me going with them is that I would see my grandparents and other family members. I know everyone would love to see B and I couldn't pass up that opportunity. The downside to this trip is that it was a looonnnggg car ride. We had to drive about the same distance at Christmas becuase of the blizzard in NYC and I wasn't too excited about doing it again, but it was free and with my parents so I decided to go for it. I questioned my decision many times before we left but I'm SO glad I went in the end.

The week was full of things we didn't expect and I didn't have my usual comforts of home (the house was still a little chaotic at the 1st of the week). I had to be super organized with formula and bottles for the car ride and all of Bennett's things once we arrived. It was a lot of prep work. All of this to say that I had to be flexible and so did B. He slept in a different room almost every night and napped in random places through the day (thanks for the P&P Colleen!). I couldn't depend on my glider to put his down for his nap so we had to get creative. I also didn't have the support of Dave and although my parents were helpful it just wasn't the same. I have no idea how single parents do it all! Overall the week was a chance for us to be out of our comforts of home and live in the moment as my mom would say. I'm so thankful for this trip because it showed me that I can trust myself and B more with things I was nervous to do before. I know we can adapt to different situations and I don't have to rely so heavily on our "schedule."

Here are some pictures from the week...who wouldn't have wanted to go!?






2 comments:

  1. Glad you both survived and that it went so well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun week and a good lesson learned indeed!

    ReplyDelete