Saturday, July 16, 2011

Cooking!

Yep, you read that right. If you know me at all you are probably a little bit surprised. I will admit, so was I! As I've written about about before Dave and I have decided to make B's baby food. It's been pretty easy I must say, but I also must admit that Dave does 75% of the cooking most of the time. He's great that way!
After a yummy dinner at the Grove this evening we ran to HEB to grab LOTS of fresh fruits and veggies to make some new meals for B. We bought items for 5 different meals, but only made 2 tonight (yes, I helped too!). We will make the others throughout the week.

Here is our stash


1st we made the "Very Blueberry and Apple" recipe


Here is how we did it! 1st rinse the blueberries (1 cup) and peal the apples (4)




Cut the apples and remove the seeds and core


Combine the apples and blueberries in a pot and add 8 oz of water. Cook for 8 minutes on high heat (stirring once).


Pour everything into the blender and puree until smooth



Pour puree into ice cube trays. Cover and freeze.



Then we made a Papaya Banana recipe


Cut the papaya in half and scoop out the seeds (we used 2 meridol papayas equalling about 5 pounds)


Cut into pieces and remove the skin (like a watermelon)



Peel and cut 3 bananas


Cook the papayas on high heat for 4 minutes


Add the bananas and cook for 1 additional minute while stirring


Pour into blender and puree



Pour into ice cube trays. Wrap and freeze.



I know lot of people use food processors to puree the food but we find that the blender works just fine for us and we already had one so it was free! After the cubes have frozen we pop them out and keep them in labeled Ziplocks. I must say I was a bit skeptical at first but it is fun seeing B eat food that I know is fresh and heathy.

1 comment:

  1. Totally coming back to this post when Davis starts eating solids!

    ReplyDelete